From: Jonathan Matthews-Levine  <matthewslevine at gmail.com>
To: maemo-users at maemo.org
Sent: Mon Dec  4 2006 04:29:32 AM EST
Subject: Re: [maemo-users] 770 on the way
On 11/30/06, Gary <gary at eyetraxx.net> wrote:
> Jonathan Matthews-Levine wrote:
>
> > Remembering, of course, that 99%+ of the 770s sold have been,
> > IMHO, *not* on contract, but with the end user paying the full retail
> > price.
>
> Why would the 770 be sold by mobile phone companies in the first place?
> And if so, why would there be a service agreement tied to it?

That was sort of my *point* :-)

I was attempting (badly!) to make the point that the usual product
pattern for Nokia/SE/whoever - where they release some new,
interesting device and then release incremental/facelift upgrades
that'll support themselves through the artificially buoyed up market
of telco contracts - may not be very well suited to the full-price,
no-contract-available 770 upgrade.

Following from this *and* the 770's fairly (let's be nice :-)) /niche/
market, the 870/780/880/whatever needs to be both a compelling device
for new buyers AND a compelling upgrade for existing 770 owners!

All IMHO, of course :-)
Jonathan
matthewslevine at gmail.com
  "That sounds vaguely obscene, and if there's one thing I
  cannot *stand*, it's vagueness." -- Dean Grennell