[maemo-users] using ssh/dropbear?

On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 11:00:26AM -0700, D. R. Evans wrote:
> Marius Gedminas said the following at 11/22/2006 10:47 AM :
> >> 1. How do I start the ssh server?
> >
> > I've never tried Dropbear.  I've installed OpenSSH, and the server
> > starts up automatically.
>
> Hmmm... didn't notice that openssh was available. Maybe I'll switch to that
> if I can't get dropbear working by the end of the day.

Installing OpenSSH is more difficult than using it. You either have to
get root access, and then do sudo apt-get install ssh in Terminal, or
you have to enable the Red Pill mode of the application installer, and
then you can install ssh from the application manager.  The whole
procedure is described here: http://maemo.org/maemowiki/InstallSsh2006

BTW If you figure out how to use Dropbear, please update that page.

> >> 2. How do I start the client?
> >
> > By running 'ssh hostname' in a Terminal, I would assume.
> >

> It's always dangerous to assume :-)
>
> In other words: no, that doesn't work.

You can always do dpkg -L dropbear (or whatever the package name) to see
what files it has installed.  Look for files in /usr/bin/

> >> And there's also question 1a: how do I tell the N770 to start the server
> >> each time when it reboots?
> >
> > This is done automatically by the OpenSSH package.  I would expect
> > Dropbear to do the same.
>
> Yeah, I expected that too, but it doesn't.

Marius Gedminas
--
Professionalism has no place in art, and hacking is art.  Software Engineering
might be science; but that's not what I do.  I'm a hacker, not an engineer.