[maemo-users] Open source Java

> > O.K. A question for the web browser developers. Now that Sun has
> > open sourced Java, how long will it be before we see it included in the
> > 770's browser?
>
> Sus has *not* yet open sourced Java, they announced to release the
> first open source code in March 2007, IIRC.  So only at that moment,
> looking at the real code, people can see how difficult it is to port
> it and start estimating how long that will take.

Sun _HAS_ open sourced parts of it. I don't think its a complete JVM
yet. The other thing about the Sun version is I don't believe its
ported to the ARM architecture yet, so that would be a (not very
small) requirement before it could even be considered.

> Seeing how killing (in the negative sense) Java is on old computers
> with little memory, I doubt whether it's feasible to use it on the
> 770, but we'll see...

I don't know that I would want JavaSE on the 770 as it would be too
heavy (which I think is what all the browser plugins use) but JavaME
(Mobile Edition) would be excellent. Its the version that runs on all
the various smart phones that support Java (like the blackberry) and
would allow us to use all the large amount of mobile java applications
out there. The 2 in particular that would be very is is Google's
Mobile GMaps (google.com/gmm) and the mobile gmail client.

Peter