[maemo-users] NFS on Nokia 770 IT2006?

Igor Stoppa wrote:
> Said this, the only %100 GPL compliant option left would have been to
> delay the binary.
>
> Which is apparently what you are asking with all these whining.

Please do not take it as a whining.

While I was mentioning GPL in the kernel thread (because in fact we
really have the right to have the source) maybe I forgot to mention real
reasons clearly (thinking they are obvious). I don't want to beat anyone
with GPL stick just because I can. Especially in situation where there
was good intention (to release binary ASAP).

But IMO the kernel is more critical because of the drivers (hw support)
and other major functionality residing in modules.

No kernel means no NFS, no CIFS, no bluetooth keyboards (used with
kbdd), no PPTP and other things.

This does not affect just a bunch of hackers but also some (naive) users
who upgrade immediatelly (because they know nothing about kernel or
modules) and then start to complain why x,y,z they really need right now
does not work anymore. So either they need to reflash back and reinstall
everything again or wait a week to have their BT keyboard (or whatever)
working. Not good situation. And they blame Nokia. Also those who
understand what no kernel source means will not upgrade immediatelly so
earlier upgrade is not useful to them anyway.

But still I agree majority of users was happy to get the release ASAP
after months of waiting so it was good thing :-)

Frantisek

BTW thanks Ferenc for the kernel link, much appreciated. Weekend is good
for kernel hacking :-)