[maemo-users] NFS on Nokia 770 IT2006?

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 05:59:56PM +0200, Igor Stoppa wrote:
> Please note that this is solely my personal opinion, not Nokia.
> On our side there might have been some naiveness in trying to push out
> the binary as soon as it was available, since it wasn't blocked by
> anything but the GPL constraint, whose _spirit_ we are trying very hard
> to uphold.

I can understand your motivation.

> Ianal but frankly i doubt any of the community can contribute with
> speeding up that side. Simply because it requires somebody with an NDA
> with Nokia.

Could Nokia at least provide some sort of estimate when this legal
review is going to be done?

> Said this, the only %100 GPL compliant option left would have been to
> delay the binary.

(As a naive engineer I think fixing the legal process would have been
another option, but then what do I know about how large corporations
work.)

> Which is apparently what you are asking with all these whining.

I'm sure some people do think delaying a release would have been better
than breaking the copyright law.

Personally I'm ambivalent.  I believe that Nokia is acting in good
faith.  I also think tolerating violations of the GPL, even temporary,
is not a good precedent to make.  And none of the bugs fixed in OS2006.2
were bugging me personally so that I would want to get the fix as soon
as possible. :-)

Please do not interpret this email as an attack, as it was not intended
that way.  It is a request to understand our point of view.  The free
software community has its values, and offending those values in the
name of expediency is not a good way to make friends.

Regards,
Marius Gedminas
--
Redundancy is bad because it causes errors, and wastes resources. (Ed: Also I
think there's a commandment against it in the Bible. Or there was until they