[maemo-users] Re: pdf reader: suggestions for improvement

I share this concern, if not all the proposed solutions. :-)

Marius Gedminas wrote:
> The Back button might be a better fit for going to the previous page.

That's a great idea! Select to go the next page, and Back to go to the
previous. It sounds just perfect.

>> However, as suggested previously, FBreader uses nicely the zoom button to go
>> forward/backward. This is being used for the zoom feature in the pdf reader,
>> but honestly, how often to do change the zoom while reading a pdf file? Once.
>> So the best suggestion is to use the select button to pop-up a zoom chooser
>> and the zoom button to scroll down/go to the next page.
>>
>> Finally, when scrolling down (or up) a page with the D-pad, doesn't it make
>> sense to switch to the next page if one is already a the bottom of a page?

NO! Please don't! Please please don't! Pretty please? :-)

It's really annoying when scrolling around a page with the arrow keys, one
finds himself on the next or previous page without wanting it.

Much better having dedicated keys, and using them.

Did I already say please don't? ;-)

> Or better yet -- support the "continous" mode that Acrobat Reader and
> Evince have and show parts of both pages at the same time.

No problem in continuous mode, of course. Unfortunately, KPDF exhibits this
exact behavior even when *not* in continuous mode, and that's *mightily*
annoying.

I opened a bug in the KDE bug tracker for this problem, and it's slowly
building consensus.

>> 2) When displaying the next/prev page, please keep the horizontal position so
>> that one does not have to adjust the centering at each page change.

I second this one too.

>> With these two modifications, the pdf reader program would much easier and
>> faster to use.

Definitely.

--
Nicola Larosa - http://www.tekNico.net/

Looking good on paper is the first resort of those who want to appear to
acknowledge some public concern without making any significant change.
That's usually politicians, command-and-control business leaders and PR
flacks. Real leaders know that looking good on paper means nothing unless
it's the result of determined actions, not a replacement for them.
 -- Carmine Coyote, May 2006