[maemo-users] Connecting to WIFI routers with dynamically-assigned IP addresses

On 10/23/06, Paule Ecimovic <paule at certrex.net> wrote:

> Hi, All
>
>     I am still getting the Connecting to <SSID> via a local IP address
> followed by a red "?" when connecting to unencrypted publically-accessible
> WIFI hotspots using Internet Tablet OS 2006. I didn't used to have this
> problem with ITOS 2005, (but there was not VOIP in that OS). Connecting
> over
> a mobile phone via bluetooth works fine, (albeit even 384 kbaud doesn't
> match WIFI 10baseT or 100baseT broadband.)  It doesn't seem to be router
> specific. Every WIFI router I tried resulted in the same state. Has anyone
> posted or does anyone know of a standard fix to this problem?

I know that this happens to me when I am connecting to an AP right at the
edge of my range or one that is overloaded and the DHCP server is not
responding quickly enough. Perhaps there is a config setting buried
somewhere that increases the DHCP client timeout before if drops back to a
link-local address.

I did a bit of poking around on my device and it looks like a process called
icd (Internet Connectivity Deamon) is responsible for setting everything up
and it takes its instructions via dbus commands. You would have to get what
magic incantation you send to icd to increase the the udhcpc client timeout
or where the icd config file is from someone more informed than I.

/Mike