[maemo-users] US users of Nokia 770 - compatibility with Bluetooth-enabled cellphone as modem

David,

as I understand from commentary on various discussion lists, Verizon
does not like its users to use their mobile handsets as a modem
(so-called "tethering")  to reach Verizon's EVDO service. Sprint on the
other hand seems to be more flexible in this respect.

Having said that, the Verizon  handset models running Windows Mobile 5.0
and incorporating both bluetooth as well as EVDO (and of course CDMA for
voice) can be modified to expose the modem application, wmodem.exe, on
the handset. Among these handsets is the XV6700 which also has a mini
usb connector so, with an adapter cable it can be connected, for
example, to a PC's USB port.

Here is the url to information about how to enable DUN on the XV6700:

http://www.pdaphonehome.com/forums/ppc-6700-xv6700/64889-bluetooth-dun-tethering-solution-verizon-xv6700-codes-method.html

These mods of course are specific to WM 5.0 if not the XV6700.

Because I do not have any bluetooth PC adapters I have not  verified
myself whether or not this mod works with bluetooth as in claimed at the
aforementioned www page.

Best Regards,

John Holmblad

Acadia Secure Networks