[maemo-users] Flash to 2006 trouble

On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 12:38:11PM -0500, Willie McKemie wrote:
> Well,,,,, a bit more progress:
> 1) I flashed back to Nokia_770_SE2005_5_2006_13_7.bin, which worked
> fine.  Got information from my DHCP server, used that for internet
> access, allowed internet browsing
> 2) Flashed back to SU-18_2006SE_1.2006~PR_F5_MR0_ARM.bin, which (this
> time) had internet access through my LAN.
>
> I have to conclude that at least some of my prior trouble was caused by
> a "bad" flash.
>
> BUT, after installing files from the memory card, I still have the
> X Terminal failing to start.  I wonder if I should have installed
> both those curses packages:
> ncurses-base_5.4-4_all.deb
> libncurses5_5.4-4_armel.deb

Probably, yes.

> After installing
> dropbear_0.48-0.1_armel.deb
> I still do not have ssh access to the 770.

What do you get instead -- connection refused, or permission denied?

(I use OpenSSH myself.)

> I still have not gotten the ApplicationsCatalog2006 thing to work.
> Maybe that's a cockpit error.  I go to
> ApplicationManager>Tools>ApplicationCatalog and try to select one or
> both of the "tableteer" URLs.  "New" seems to not do what I want; it
> requires me to type in a URL.  What SHOULD I be doing to get one or
> more repositories specified here?

Precisely that: type in a URL.  Or use copy & paste.  The list of
repositories is in the wiki (ApplicationRepositories), and the
application catalog also should have "repository", "distribution" and
"component" fields that you're supposed to fill in when you add a new
application, uh, catalog.

> Is there some documentation that I've failed to find?

I don't think so.  If the documentation provided on the maemo wiki is
not sufficient, maybe you can add a sentence or two after you've figured
things out?

> I REALLY didn't expect this stuff to be so troublesome.

Yeah, if we had something like Ubuntu's "universe" repository, that
could be enabled by checking an option somewhere in the application
catalog, and all popular 3rd-party apps lived there, things would be
much easier.

Marius Gedminas
--
One picture is worth 128K words.