[maemo-users] Making software installation a bit easier in Maemo

On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 08:31 +0300, Henri Bergius wrote:
> So, how could we make it easier to add new apt repositories? One
> reasonably easy way would be to:
>
> * Define an XML format for describing the repository. It could be as simple as:
>
> <repository url="http://maemo.o-hand.com/packages";>
>     <distribution>mistral</distribution>
>     <component>free</component>
> </repository>
>
> * Define a MIME type for this format, for example application/x-apt-repository
>
> * Make Application Manager register itself as the handler of this MIME type
>
> * And finally enable Application Manager to add (and update) a new
> repository when given such a repository XML file. It should probably
> also take user automatically to the "Install" view
>
> This way when you click a repository file (which could be served from
> maemo.org or the repository itself), the Maemo browser would
> automatically hand it to the Application Manager and the repository
> would be added.
>
> What do you think?

Actually Maemo SDK has even more simple way to do this. Just install
package:
http://repository.maemo.org/pool/mistral/free/m/maemo-contrib-repository/maemo-contrib-repository_2.0-1_all.deb

After that your Application Manager is configured to have contrib
repository. This is very simple method, just "install" repositories and
then use Application Manager as usual.

What do yo think about this kind of way?

Sincerely,
--
Miko Nieminen <miko.nieminen at gmail.com>