[maemo-users] Bluetooth visibility

Hi!
I just discovered (by accident) that my 770 is practically almost always
visible via Bluetooth. I am not sure if I really want this...

More description...
I have enabled the feature that connections are *not* dropped when the
cover is closed. This enables carrying the device around and stay
connected to IM and VOIP - very nice.
But at the same time the Bluetooth interface is now always up and the
device is also always visible.

Well, I asked for it since I enabled the "stay connected" option but at
least for Wifi I can decide when to disconnect and thus down the Wifi
interface. Not so with the Bluetooth interface.

I have two concerns about this.
One is security. Currently the 770 does not offer any services but one
could install e.g. a BT-OBEX server to accept OBEX transfers. In that
case and the 770 being always visible makes the device an easy target
for hackery.
The second concern is about power consumption. I guess that the
Bluetooth device consumes more power if it is kept visible (and up) than
it would if being down (and not visible).

Basically what is missing is a simple way for the user to switch the
Bluetooth on and off, same as it is for a long time in mobile phones.

Maybe as an idea for a IT2006-2 edition ;)

Cheers
  nils faerber

--
kernel concepts          Tel: +49-271-771091-12
Dreisbachstr. 24         Fax: +49-271-771091-19