[maemo-users] Re: [maemo-developers] What has happend with ogg-vorbis in IT200&?

Hi again,

> While I hate the fact that we
> need these codecs, the simple truth is that as long as WebMasters
> continue to use WMA/WMV for web content we will need these codecs -
> perhaps a Non-Free package, with the appropriate blackmail^Wlicense paid
> to Microsoft by Nokia would be in order.

Well this really depends - I don't bother wether my device supports
wma or not. As soon as I encounter wma files I convert them anyway to
ogg-files, giving such stupid formats no chance at all. WMA is
proprietary and all should be done to avoid its success (however MS
showed again how much power they have just by owning windows).

On the other side ogg vorbis would be free, there are already
arm-compatible software implementations (I would be fine withought dsp
support for now).

However everybody has his/her opinions, this is mine so please don't
think this should start a flame. I understand your point of view and I
also agree from an end-user standoint.

lg Clemens

PS: I am having strange problems with mp3 playback since I updated to
IT2006. Sometimes it sounds like the MP3 is of very low quality.
restarting then player some times and removing the headphone plug
sometimes helps. I don't think its a hw fault since it also happens
with the built in speaker.
Does anybody know wether this bug has been reported? (why does the
770's images have to be that buggy) :-/