[maemo-users] Volume in VoIP calls

On 6/20/06, ?lvaro J. Iradier <airadier at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I'm testing IT2006 and it works great. I'm just missing one thing:
>
> the speaker in the 770 can play quite loud (for example music and
> videos). However, while doing a voice call the the volume is low even
> when both global and call volumes are set to maximum. You have to put
> the nokia in your ear to be able to hear something.
>
> It would be really nice to be able to have a "hands free" mode, that
> allows to set a higher volume. The microphone seems sensible enough.
> I've tested and the other party could hear me perfectly even when the
> nokia was far from my mouth.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Thanks very much.

I have noticed the same thing. I have the sense that this is mainly due to
the automatic gain control for both the microphone and speaker that is built
into the VOIP application. When you turn the main volume up, it decreases
the internal speaker volume to avoid echo to the caller. So you end up
fighting it. This definitely needs to be tweaked a bit. It seems to do the
same thing on the mic too. If you make a sharp noise like a clap or tapping
the 770 case, it takes quite a long time for your caller to hear you again
as the VOIP app readjusts your mic capture gain back up.

/Mike