[maemo-users] Re: maemo-users Digest, Vol 14, Issue 16

On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 16:41, ext Laurent MARTIN wrote:
> > Formatting MMC with 770 will probably destroy all your
> > partitions, because I noticed one case when 770 couldn't format a
> > usable
> > MMC when it didn't zero the partition table first (so I will make it
> > zero the partition table before repartitioning and formatting, to
> > ensure
> > that a usable MMC can be always formatted).
> That's interesting becuse I'm now trying to reformat my 1GB RSMMC
> card, and I'm not able to do it using the built-in file manager of my
> N770: it fails with something like "corrupted MMC card". How do I
> fully "zero reset" the partition table? What I've done on my Linux PC:

Yes, that's precisely the problem I encountered, too. I will fix it for
the final release.

> - "fdisk /dev/sdb"
> - remove all partitions
> - create a new partition (type 6) using the whole space
> - write the new partition table and exit
> - format using "mkfs.vfat /dev/sdb1"
> Using this, I'm then able to use the RSMMC on the N770 (including
> creating a swap file using the GUI) but I cannot reformat the RSMMC
> card with the file manager: I still get the same error message :-/
> Any good advice about this? TIA.

First, do 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512 count=1' (make sure
that the 'of' device is correct!). After that it should format correctly
with the 770.

BR; Kimmo