[maemo-users] new 770 hardware instead of software update to add VOIP?

On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 18:16 -0400, Clem Taylor wrote:
> Dos anyone know what has changed in the new 770?

I read those articles and it's not clear to me that there /is/ new 770
hardware. It's mentioned in the one article but that could just as
easily be wrong. It would certainly be the first mention I've seen of
new 770 hardware, and personally I would find that annoying because I
just shelled out $400 for my 770 only a few months ago.

Besides that, you would think that if there was new hardware, especially
new *required* hardware for what I can only assume is the IT Software
Edition 2006, there would be some other mention somewhere of it.

OTOH, they do talk about "maemo compliant" devices as a plurality, so I
can only assume there'll be more at some point.

> Some more memory and
> a faster processor surely couldn't hurt, but will the VOIP software
> support the current 770?

You would have to think so, because declining to support a major feature
like that on current-generation hardware smacks of the treatment Sharp
gave its community of developers with the Zaurus a few years ago. Part
of the reason I got a 770 in the first place is I was annoyed with Sharp
and their treatment of open-source developers on the Zaurus platform
(which was basically to ignore them), and the 770/Maemo project seemed
to be different--they were actually *encouraging* hacking at the bits. I
would not be pleased to find I shelled out $400 for a device that has
been supplanted in just a few months.

> Has anyone heard any real details on this?

I hope someone more informed than I am can offer something better.

Andrew