[maemo-users] JFFS errors on rootfs - how to fix

David D. Hagood schrieb:
> I've noticed my Nokia rebooting a lot more than I think it should - even
> rebooting in the middle of the night, with its cover on and
> (theoretically) idle.
>
> I've looking in the dmesg log and I am seeing a lot of
>
> "Inode #nnnn was a directory with children - removing those too..."
>
> as well as
>
> "jffs2_get-inode_nodes(): Data CRC failed on node at 0x067f4224: Read
> 0xe4d99ffe, calcuated 0xefc11b90"
>
> I conjecture there is a problem in my rootfs - is there a simple way to
> correct this?

It is definitely a bad situation, no doubt, and no normal situation. The
above messages are real errors, not just warnings.

It is just difficult to find the reason.
JFFS2 is in general quite stable but gets pretty confused in certain
situations, like for example when your partition gets really full. I do
not suggest that this is the reason here, just that JFFS2 is not (yet)
perfect.

Having said this, let's get at solving.
First of all the bad news: There is no tool to repair a, for whatever
reason, damaged JFFS2, sorry.

In your situation I would do the following:

- check if the partition is full, for whatever reason. If yes, then find
the big files and try to delete at least one. See if this helps.

- If the partition is not full or after delete you still see problems,
then try to reflash your device - sorry, you will loose your installed
software in the process. While reflashing the flash eraseblocks get
formatted and a clean filesystem is put into the flash. This should give
the assurance of having a clean flash afterwards. If now the above
warnings continue to show up then - well - it seems your internal flash
is broken, sorry. This should not, but can happen. The only help then is
to get a replacement device.

Good luck!

And please post your findings here again so that we can share that
information.

Cheers
  nils faerber

--
kernel concepts          Tel: +49-271-771091-12
Dreisbachstr. 24         Fax: +49-271-771091-19