[maemo-users] flasher: usb_bulk_write: Broken pipe

Hello,
I found references to my problem, but no explanation/solution so far.
What happened is that I successfully flashed my 1st 770 with
./flasher -F Nokia_770_SE2005_3_2005_51_13.bin -f -R

A few days later, I returned the unit and got a new one, which I
flashed, too. I had thought I had deleted the old
Nokia_770_SE2005_3_2005_51_13.bin-file, so I downloaded it a second time
and went through exactly the same procedure. It started fine, but
suddenly stopped with an error message:
usb_bulk_write: Broken pipe

I started to sweat, literally, when this error message occurred after a
2nd and 3rd try. What I found out then was that I'd kept the old file in
a different directory. I flashed the unit with the file I'd downloaded
only 2 days ago, and everything was fine.

My questions are:

A) If I hadnt kept the old file, which options are there? More
precicely: If flashing fails because of such an error, will there be any
chance to ever re-boot the device or give it one more try with a new
image after powering down? Is there something like a protected "BIOS"
that will always allow flashing, no matter how insanely broken the
current software is?

B) Whats the reason for the "usb_bulk_write: Broken pipe"-error? Is
there something wrong with the flasher? With the USB-setup on my
Linux-PC? With the image I'm trying to transfer? Unfortunately I deleted
the seemingly "broken" image file so I would never touch it again by
mistake; now I cant compare it to the one that worked. I remember them
being equal in size, but I was always told its not size that matters ;-)

Help is appreciated, because this experience really keeps me from even
thinking of upgrading to some new software release. :(

Thx,
Oskar