[maemo-users] Plucker, pdb and ebook formats

Lionel Dricot (aka Ploum) schrieb:
> Hello,
Hi!

> I've discovered the joy of FBreader and the plucker format with the sample :
> http://downloads.kernelconcepts.de/books/AliceInWonderland.pdb
>
> As I've written some texts, I want to put them in the same format,
> with a bit of formatting and perhaps somes pictures.

Quite some work, but results in nice ebooks ;)

> I didn't find any way to convert a PDF or PS or SXW or ODT or ABW to a
> good looking pdb as Alice in wonderland is.

Those formats are mostly not very "portable".
Plucker comes from the idea to "pluck" web sites, i.e. download HTML
pages to read them offline.
Having said this it might become obvious that especially pre-formatted
formats like PS and PDF do not convert that easily - thus no converter
exists.
The best bet you can do is convert to HTML first. If this works then you
can convert the HTML page set to Plucker format.

I would recommend to manually edit the HTML intermediate format in order
to add some browsing help links, like page forward, page back, table of
contents, a nice cover page, etc...

> Also, I don't understand the difference between plucker and palm
> document format (both are pdb extension and readable by FBreader)

PDB is just the general extension for "Palm DataBase", i.e. a generic
data file format for Palm-OS and does not specify any internal data
representation (like PBC IRC which is the program file).

> Can anyone give me some explanations or an interesting link ? It seems
> that all that plucker-desktop can do is retrieving website for offline
> browsing (and I don't want to do that).

Don't use the desktop.
Use the plucker commanline tool "plucker-build" instead.
With this you can create an HTML directory tree and simply create the
Plucker book from it.

> Thanks,
> Ploum
Cheers
  nils faerber

- --
kernel concepts          Tel: +49-271-771091-12
Dreisbachstr. 24         Fax: +49-271-771091-19
D-57250 Netphen          Mob: +49-176-21024535
- --