[maemo-users] Chinese fonts

Hi,

> Is there no way around this?!

AFAIK there are two ways to fix this:
- Replace the device font(s) with fonts that support all the glyphs
  you need.  Downside is that as your font metrics are different,
  strings may not fit into screen, widget sizes may change etc.
- Add support to Browser for rendering the text using glyphs from
  multiple fonts.  Gtk does this automatically with Pango (i.e.
  things work automatically for normal applications), but I
  don't think Browser is using that

I think also window titles won't show chinese, as the Maemo
Matchbox is configured not to use Pango.

> If not, will this be addressed in the future?
>
> I find it quite appalling to make a device that's meant to browse
> websites and can't even ready non-english fonts.

I think the reason for this in N770 is that it saves some memory.

	- Eero