[maemo-users] Disable blanking Gpsdrive patch

Greg Morgan wrote:
> If applications like, your unpatched gpsdrive, or an
> xterm session that is used with a keyboard, then touching the screen
> every so many minutes becomes impractical.  It seems like the patch
> really belongs in the control panel display applet that governs the both
> the "Brightness period" and :"Switch off display" time.  A larger pick
> list is required.

Well this does not solve it. Application needs to signal to the system
that it is active. It is bug for keyboard input driver if it does not
wake the screen or reset activity counter on key press. But for most
apps that just do something without user interacting with the device
such 'patch' belong to the application.

> I think your patch shows a great idea but patching every piece of code
> that is using a keyboard or app like gpsdrive is the wrong place to
> patch the device.

True for the keyboard, not true for gpsdrive (and media players and
other apps that just show something).

Frantisek