[maemo-users] Adding swap make system *LESS* stable

Hmm, I don't see this with my usage. I think swap is an improvement. But
personally I don't understand complains about 24MB limitation. IMO 24 is
more than enough. Even 16MB is a big improvement.

For best usage the swap should contain what is really not needed (like
dead code and other inefficiency in libraries and other useless junk).
16MB could be enough for swapping out this. I also think that the
improvement seen is caused by different behaviour of VM when it knows it
has some spare swap just in case without actually using it.

By really using swap in a big way I believe stability may be a problem
indeed. But machine which is constantly swapping is not very usable
anyway and in case of flash memory it is really bad idea. Nonfrequent
swapping with reasasonable usage may not harm flash at all.

BTW anyone seen worse battery usage with swap turned on? I would guess
swap keeps the MMC device open so the system cannot turn MMC controller
off. But the card FAT partition is mounted all the time anyway so maybe
it is not related. I just think my device have worse battery performance
with swap turned on even if it is not swapping much.

Frantisek