[maemo-users] Hanging at NOKIA splash screen

After a couple days of using my 770, I innocently turned it off and
took out the battery to read the product ID.  Now it won't boot past
the initial "NOKIA" splash screen.  I've seen others recover from
similar situations by flashing, but I can't get to a point where the
WinXP or Linux flasher will talk to my 770.  I'd really like to avoid
doing a warranty return, because I know my local CompUSA doesn't have
anything with which to replace it.  Any ideas what's wrong and how to
fix it?

My experiments so far:

1) Pressing and holding the power button for a long time, with or
without the power adapter attached -- nothing happens.

2) Pressing and holding the power button without the power adapter,
then connecting the adapter while still holding the button -- the
display immediately turns on and the "NOKIA" splash screen appears.
The progress bar at the bottom of the screen never shows up.  If I
release the power button, the backlight goes off after a few seconds,
but in the right light I can see the display is still on and hung
at "NOKIA".  It stays this way until I unplug power, at which point
the display goes off.  If I continue holding the power button rather
than releasing it, the backlight cycles at about 3s on/2s off.

3) Repeating the previous step with the USB cable attached to a WinXP
PC -- The PC complains that an unknown USB device is attached, but the
device isn't working correctly.  If I continue to hold the power
button, the display and backlight flash about once a second until I
release the button.  At the same time the PC cycles USB plug-unplug
events until I pull the power adapter.  I'd successfully transferred
files from that PC to the 770 via USB before the 770 started
misbehaving.

4) Repeating the previous two tests, but holding the home button
before pressing the power button, makes no difference.  Likewise for
the menu, escape, full-screen and plus/minus buttons.

5) Attaching the power adapter with the unit off does nothing.  The
charging screen does not appear, and the display and backlight stay
off.

6) Attempting to flash from a WinXP system ? the 770 never comes up.
The PC cycles USB plug-unplug events, and eventually complains about
an unknown USB device that isn't working correctly.  I know positively
this 770 + USB cable + WinXP system combination worked before, because
I'd used it to move files on and off the MMC.

7) Attempting to flash using the Linux flasher -- I first tried simply
resetting the device using flasher:

"./flasher -R"

That didn't work, so I tried actually flashing it:

"./flasher -F Nokia_770_SE2005_3_2005_51-13.bin -f -R"

In both cases, I never got past "Suitable USB device not found,
waiting".  However, I could hear the Linux system's disk churning a
little about once a second when I was holding the 770's power button,
making me think my Linux system is seeing the same USB plug-unplug
cycling I got on my WinXP system.  I tried all of the USB ports on my
Linux system, to make sure no internal hubs were getting in the way,
and unfortunately the 770 behaved the same on every one.  I also tried
both as a regular user and root.

This is the first time I've tried to flash my 770, although my saga
began when I took out the battery to get the product ID so I could
flash-up to the latest release.

I also tried flasher's "-c" cold-flash option, but it wanted a serial
connection rather than USB.  Anyone know the pinout to the connector
next to the battery?  I'm guessing a few of those pads are the needed
serial port.

8) I considered maybe the flash code on the 770 is clever enough to
check for a charged battery before allowing flashing to proceed.  My
battery could be low by now.  But I measured it at 3.78V, so that
pretty much rules that idea out.