[maemo-users] anyone made a custom input method?

Total newbie here, so please speak slowly and use small words.

I'd like to make (or somehow con someone else into making) a custom
input method for the 770 based on HexInput
<http://www.strout.net/info/ideas/hexinput.html>.  From what I've
read in the archives, this ought to be possible.  But I'm a Mac
developer, not a Linux one, and I'm pretty clueless about where to
begin.

Has anyone here made a custom input method for the 770 yet?  Or know
anyone who has?  Even a simple demo, like something that draws a box
and enters "A" when you stroke to the left and "B" when you stroke to
the right, would be all I need to get started.  Barring that, I'll
take pointers to the relevant docs, or even vague words of
encouragement...

I firmly believe that with the right approach and a little practice,
text input on a pen-based device can be as fast as with a keyboard.
But the virtual keyboard included by default with the 770 (and with
all PDAs) isn't the right approach.  Help me fix that, and we'll have
people using the 770 instead of their laptops for almost everything!

Thanks,
- Joe

--

Joseph J. Strout