[maemo-users] Unable to flash my N770, "no suitable device found"

2005/10/31, Clemens Eisserer <linuxhippy at gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> since I am a bit unhappy about the bugs in my Nokia770 I was really
> happy when I heard that Nokia really delivers updates to their
> customers.
> When I remember back to my Motorola phone (now I own a Nokia too but
> its stable and works 100% fine) it was really horrible, russian tools
> with russian software from untrusted cracker sites. However it worked
> too after a day or two ;-)
>
> Always when I start the flasher tool as user root I get the following
> output, regardless wether the device is turned off, on or even
> plugged/unplugged.
> I am using Fedora Core 4 updated to some 2.6.13 kernel (fedora compilation).
>
> [root at ce gpe]# ./flasher -F Nokia_770_0.2005.42-9.bin -f -R
> Found image 2nd (length 8576)
> Found image secondary (length 79360)
> Found image xloader (length 13824)
> Found image initfs (length 1576704)
> Found image kernel (length 1480704)
> Found image rootfs (length 57540608)
> Suitable USB device not found, waiting
>
> It would be really great if anybody could help me since I don't know
> any further.
> I attached the strace-log of the flasher utility, maybe this can help
> identifying whats going wrong. It seems the device tries to open some
> files in /proc/bus/usb/XYZ but is not successful.
> Should I really turn off the divice? Should I unload the usb-storage modules?
> Anything else I should take care of?
>
> lg Clemens
It is possibile to keep the device in a waiting state, after plugging
the usb cable in, pressing and holding the home key and then turning
it on.
The device will display the usb symbol and will wait indefintely for
flasher commands.

I found this trick in the windows flasher wizard.
Roberto Resoli