[maemo-users] Can the toolchain destroy my linux installation?

Hello,

If you install scratchbox by following the instructions and in case of
uninstall,
do it cleanly with following the instructions (that all can be found
e.g. from
www.scratchbox.org in addition to the instructions in maemo.org), you
should have no problems.
Please be sure that you edit correct sources.list though (_inside_ the
scratchbox)...
I once edited the sources.list of my Ubuntu
to get source packages from maemo repository with apt-get (outside
scratchbox) and
next time when I did dist-upgrade, I forgot to remove the additional
repositories and
everyone can guess what happened... Fortunately it didn't take that long
time to
reinstall Ubuntu (the most painless Linux installation I have seen) and
updating it
always works flawlessly (and is pretty quick too), so it was back up and
running
in few hours (it did not worth trying to resolve the installed broken
packages by hand,
so I reinstalled everything back then).

There is room for another little mistake. When you install the rootsrap,

be sure to do it _inside_ the scratchbox (meaning that
you are not only in your scratchbox home directory but logged inside the
SB)! :D

Anyway, congratulations, and have fun!

Best Wishes,
Karoliina Salminen