[maemo-users] N770 - First experiences

John B. Holmblad schrieb:
> Jan,
Hi all!

> thanks for your insights and comments on first use of the N770. I am
> alarmed by your last comment. My interpretation of what Nokia was
> shooting for with the N770 was something more "mass market" like, say
> the IPOD Nano, or a Pocket PC based PDA,  than a geek toy.  In fact,
> Nokia  should remember one of Apple's own geek toy failures, the
> Newton.  I would like Nokia to succeed with this product, but unless
> they get it right in terms of performance as measured by the non-geek
> user against what else is available out there,  it will fail.  I assume
> that Nokia have delayed the product launch of the N770 in order to get
> it right in terms of performance. As much as I would like to get an N770
> myself I would say to Nokia keep on delaying until you get it right.

Maybe there is a little misunderstanding here...
I am sure Jan commented on the performance in a way that should rather
mean "it is no rocket - but it is acceptable". At least this is our
common impression here.

The performance of course is not at all comparable to any Linux desktop
running at 2GHz. That's for sure.
But compared to other PDA for example the 770 can pretty well compete.
And if you then take into account that the screen is almost four times
the size of today's PocketPC 240x320 screens then the speed is really
more than OK.

So I think it rather comes down to, faster would be a "nice to have" but
is not mission critical.

To add one more impression, I think that the system that the Nokia
engineers designed here is one of the best portable environments
currently around. If you look at PocketPC's inconsistant and almost
unusable UI, not to mention WinCE, then Mameo is way ahead.
Palm is also very nice but in terms of system architecture way behind -
but it has a broad user base and tons of application, which is the
biggest "pro" for Palm.
And then, what is left to compare with?
[ Oh darn ... this might start a flame war... so if you are tempted to
reply, please be kind ;) ]

No, I think Nokia did a very good job!

If they keep up the development work I am sure we will still see lots of
improvements over time which will make Maemo and the 770 te first really
competetive universal mobile Linux device.

> Best Regards,
> John Holmblad
Cheers
  nils