[maemo-users] N770 - First experiences (once again)

Thanks Jan for your impressions regarding the N770.

I've just received mine this morning, since UPS tried to deliver it
to my home adress, so i had to change the adress for my office one.

I am a zaurus user at first, so i use embedded linux for quite a long
time now, and i used to released hacker kernel for these devices.

1/ Ordering was neat too, that's the standard Nokia ordering way.
Perfect.

2/ The retail package is great, and i was also disappointed not to
find a developper CD or documentation. anyway, everything is on
maemo.org :)

3/ there is no WLAN around here, so i'll test later in my house. The
UI is great, that's sure, as a zaurus user, i swear that using X is
far away a good solution than using Qtopia. I'm moreover very, and
happily surprised to see that the device is quite fast, i was a
little bit afraid of the speed thing because of Matchbox.

4/ Connection on my iBook was done with a glitch, just plug and put
some mp3, deb files unmount unplug and go :)

5/ i charged the battery around 9:30 put the device in no networking
mode since i couldn't use it yet. it's 18:00 here, and i used it a
little bit (thank for gpe-todo) maybe 1hour now, and the battery is
still showing 100%

6/ it seems that there is a bug in the virtual keyboard, since once i
select Cut / i couldn't Paste after, the menu doesn't want to come
alive again (i only tried this inside gpe-todo)

7/ My first impressions seems to be very happy with the device, the
OMAP CPU looks fast, compared to the PXA270 in my zaurus. The lack of
keyboard is not a problem since the huge screen enable a very
practical and big virtual keyboard.i had a few issues when many
applications where opened, some of them tends to be insensitive or
very slow. but the 2.6.12 kernel handles all the threading very well
IMHO, better than the zaurus 's 2.4.18 Kernel.

Now i'll use this device more and more, and find a way to start
hacking it a little bit more.

Congratulations Nokia for the Hardware, Congratulations Maemo for the
Software.

Laurent L.