Re: how to copy a snapshot, or restore snapshot without deleting it

Dne 21. 01. 19 v 11:32 Zdenek Kabelac napsal(a):
Dne 18. 01. 19 v 1:53 Davis, Matthew napsal(a):
Hi Zdenek,

I assumed that LVM thin snapshots would work like git branches.
Since git also uses diffs on the backend, and git is popular with developers, the same kind of behaviour seems reasonable to me.

Hi

There is very good reason why the git is not really a good tool for storing binary data...

Your use-case is 'very specific' sub-case of many different usability scenarios you can do with lvm2 -  so while you might see some potential benefit if the lvm2 would work more closely to git logic,
it would look terrible in many other situations.

Hi

Adding some more thoughts here - we can probably give user an option to control this - particularly in this case - how about something like:

lvconvert --mergesnapshot --keeporigin y|n

so if user would specify 'y' - lvm2 would relink/preserve merged snapshot as an origin for all other existing snapshots of the old origin - this would make more obvious what is going to happen when you start creating and merging lots of them into a single origin.

(yeah - maybe there could be better fitting option name - so it's more about
idea here for now)

Zdenek