Re: lvm.conf backup section

Dne 03. 12. 18 v 13:10 Far Had napsal(a):
Hi, Thank you Zdenek
You used "makes sure" phrase in your sentence:
"this makes sure you should have files at least 10 days back as well"

I was refering to that !

Hi

Oh - in that case I've been emphasizing the fact, that lvm2 will not REMOVE,
those. So nothing in the sense it will keep creating if they get missing :) so something completely different.

If the admin runs  'rm -f /etc/lvm/archive/*' all archives are simply gone.
(so i.e. info about executed command is lost forever! as the kernel does not hold all the info)

So the whole thing is about PV metadata area and not /etc/lvm , am I correct?

Vise versa - /etc/lvm/lvm.conf { backup/archive = 1 } is purely about /etc/lvm/archive.

There is *NO* control for user to influence PV metadata backup other then limiting the size of metadata area - the smalller the area is - the smaller 'ring-buffer' will be - the less older metadata could be found there.

Regards

Zdenek