Re: lvcreate from a setuid-root binary

Hello,

How do you plan to 'authorize' passed command line options ??

My program has no command line options. It just takes PAM_USER from PAM environment and creates a logical volume /dev/vg1/$PAM_USER, creates a filesystem and changes directory permissions of the top directory of the new filesystem.

lvm2 is designed to be always executed with root privileges - so it's
believed admin knows how he can destroy his own system.

It is NOT designed/supposed to be used as suid binary - this would
give user a way to big power to very easily destroy your filesystem
and gain root privileges (i.e.by overwriting  /etc/passwd file)

Either you misunderstood what I mean, or I am misunderstanding what you mean - I do not set lvcreate suid root, but a program that has only a small and well defined set of instructions (described above) and that restricts its execution to only one user (by checking the real uid before setuid(0)).

Regards
  Christoph