Re: Option to silence "WARNING: Sum of all thin volume sizes exceeds the size of thin pool"

Dne 19.9.2017 v 10:49 Gionatan Danti napsal(a):
On 18/09/2017 23:10, matthew patton wrote:
If the warnings are not being emitted to STDERR then that needs to be fixed right off the bat.

The line with WARNINGs are written on STDERR, at least con recent LVM version.

'lvs -q blah' should squash any warnings.
'lvcreate' frankly shouldn't output anything unless invoked with '-v' anyway. So therefore '-q' should also squash warnings.

I'm not sure this is the right approach. I do not expect "-q" to remove *all* warnings, because warnings can be quite important.

There are couple troubles - there are always a 'skilled  X  unskilled' users.
and also there are varying distro maintainers..

We are already facing some troubles when some distributions do make a changes to default configuration files which are not really ideal for 'default' users (in other words opinions about defaults are different - moreover based on wrong blog post from users...)

So we can introduce i.e. 'novice_user = 1' in lvm.conf - but it might be effectively dropped when package maintainer decides this way lvm2 makes less annoying messages around some commands.

But in case of thin-pool it's better to warn-ahead instead of facing troubles later (as full thin-pool is not going to be pleasant experience...)

So we are looking for some solution which cannot be easily 'hidden' for everyone - so we do not end with reports about 'hidden over-provisioning' causing system malfunctioning. Yet it should be 'easy' to bypass it for skilled admin.

IMHO the most convenient in my eyes is a usage of some sort of 'envvar'
LVM_SUPPRESS_POOL_WARNINGS....

Since we already use similar logic to bypass i.e.  FD close() warnings
LVM_SUPPRESS_FD_WARNINGS
LVM_SUPPRESS_LOCKING_FAILURE_MESSAGES

Regards

Zdenek