Re: Reserve space for specific thin logical volumes

Il 13-09-2017 10:15 Zdenek Kabelac ha scritto:
Ohh this is pretty major constrain ;)

Sure :p
Sorry for not explicitly stating that before.

But as pointed out multiple times - with scripting around various
fullness moments of thin-pool - several different actions can be
programmed around,
starting from fstrim, ending with plain erase of unneeded snapshot.
(Maybe erasing unneeded files....)

To get most secure application - such app should actually avoid using
page-cache (using direct-io)  in such case you are always guaranteed
to get exact error at the exact time (i.e. even without journaled
mounting option for ext4....)

True, but pagecache exists for a reason. Anyway, this is not anything you can "fix" in device mapper/lvm, I 100% agree with that.

Partially this might get solved in 'some' cases with fully provisioned
thinLVs within thin-pool...

What comes to my mind as possible supporting solution is -
adding possible enhancement on LVM2 side could be  'forcible' removal
of running volumes  (aka lvm2 equivalent  of 'dmsetup remove --force')

ATM lvm2 prevents you to remove 'running/mounted' volumes.

I can well imagine  LVM will let you forcible  replace such LV with
error target  - so instead of  thinLV  - you will have  single 'error'
target snapshot - which could be possibly even  auto-cleaned once the
volume use-count drops bellow 0  (lvmpolld/dmeventd monitoring
whatever...)

(Of course - we are not solving what happens to application
using/running out of such error target - hopefully something not
completely bad....)

This way - you get very 'powerful' weapon to be used in those 'scriplets' so you can drop uneeded volumes ANYTIME you need to and reclaim its resources...

This would be *really* great. I played with dm-setup remove/error target and, while working, it often freezed LVM. An integrated forced volume removal/swith to error target would be great.

Thank.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico