Re: Reserve space for specific thin logical volumes

Il 13-09-2017 00:41 Zdenek Kabelac ha scritto:
There are maybe few worthy comments - XFS is great on stanadar big
volumes, but there used to be some hidden details when used on thinly
provisioned volumes on older RHEL (7.0, 7.1)

So now it depend how old distro you use (I'd probably highly recommend
upgrade to RH7.4 if you are on RHEL based distro)

Sure.

Basically 'XFS' does not have similar 'remount-ro' on error behavior
which 'extX' provides - but now XFS knows how to shutdown itself when
meta/data updates starts to fail - although you may need to tune some
'sysfs' params to get 'ideal' behavior.

True, with a catch: with the default data=ordered option, even ext4 does *not* remount read only when data writeout fails. You need to use both "errors=remount-ro" and "data=journal" which basically nobody uses.

Personally for smaller sized thin volumes I'd prefer 'ext4' over XFS -
unless you demand some specific XFS feature...

Thanks for the input. So, do you run your ext4 filesystem with data=journal? How they behave performane-wise?

Regards.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico