Distributed Locking of LVM

We have a shared iscsi disk at all our boxes, with one vg. We are using clvm to manage locks to create extend activate delete list.
CLVM is tedious to manage especially especially due to reboot if locking is struck somewhere. Instead we are thinking of modifying file_locking.c to get lock with distributed store like zookeeper or redis and on success run the above command, on failure backoff and try again
The external ocking code will sit at _file_lock_resource, case LCK_VG.
Do you think its risky. Is there some other way people handle it?