init script 'command not found error'

Recently we got some error say 'pvcreate: command not found error' in our init script. Turns out to be the pvcreate, and other commands like vgcreate, are just sym links to the command 'lvm'.
And the symlink at the init script phase are not available yet.

Actually, pvcreate, pvremove, lvdisplay, pvdisplay are all just symlinks to lvm.
seems it directly links to a subcommand,
such as 'pvcreate' is equivalent to 'lvm pvcreate'.

Is there documentation about how these symlinks works? such as how they are generated etc. Like a link to the source repo,

is it safe to replace pvcreate with 'lvm pvcreate' in my script?