Re: pvcreate: vfat signature detected on /dev/sda5

John L. Poole schreef op 10-12-2016 4:35:

   zeta jlpoole # pvcreate /dev/sda5
WARNING: vfat signature detected on /dev/sda5 at offset 54. Wipe it? [y/n]: n
     Aborted wiping of vfat.
     1 existing signature left on the device.
     Aborting pvcreate on /dev/sda5.
   zeta jlpoole #

Is the warning something I need to be concerned about when
creating a physical volume on /dev/sda5?  I'm wondering if it was
looking at another
partition and bubbling up just as a precaution.

I am assuming this is a pretty standard thing; and nothing you need to worry about. If you wanted to be sure, you could create a dd of the 2nd partition, or of the first 131 MB.

Then after PV create you could do a diff on the saved data and the real data still on disk, but I am going to assume -- as a layman -- that LVM is not messing up the messages; it is really talking about sda5, and there is nothing going to happen. I encounter spurious signatures all the time, most of the time I do not even worry how it got there.

Regards.