Re: boot volume in activated containing PV does not activate

Xen wrote:
Now at boot (prior to running of systemd) I activate both coll/msata-lv and msata/root.
---
   Systemd requires that it be PID 1 (the first process to run
on your system).  I'm told that it won't run unless that is true.  So
how can you do anything before systemd has been run?

This works fine when both mirrors are present.

As a test I removed the primary (SSD) mirror of the root volume (and the boot volume). Now the system still boots (off of another disk which has grub on it, but only the grub core and boot image, nothing else, so it still references my VG) and the root volume still gets activated but the boot volume doesn't get activated anymore.

What can cause this? It ought to get activated by udev rules.

You remember I patched the udev file to ensure a PV directly on disk always gets activated but this is not that disk.

Could it be that the msata/boot volume doesn't get activated because the PV had already been activated in the initrd but only as an LV and not its volumes?
   Sounds very similar to opensuse's requirement that /usr be on
the same partition as root -- if not, then you have to boot using
a ramdisk, which mounts /usr, and then does the real system boot, so
of course, booting directly from disk (which is what my machine does)
is not supported.  I also mount "/usr" as a first step in my boot
process, but that disallows a systemd boot, which some define as
systemd being pid 1.

   I'm told systemd has changed the meaning of 'fstab' to not
be a table of disks to mount, but to be a table of disks to keep mounted
(even if umount'd by an administrator).  Since udev's functionality was
incorporated into systemd, might it not be doing something similar --
trying to maintain the boot-state in effect before you added the mirror?