sata cable disconnect + hotplug after

What am I supposed to do when a sata cable disconnects and reconnects as another device?

I had a disk at probably /dev/sda.

At a certain point the filesystem had become read-only. I realized the cable must have disconnected and after fixing it the same device was now at /dev/sdf.

Now the device had gone missing from the system but it would not refind it.

# pvscan
WARNING: Device for PV fEGbBn-tbIp-rL7y-m22b-1rQh-r9i5-Qwlqz7 not found or rejected by a filter. PV unknown device VG xenpc1 lvm2 [600,00 GiB / 158,51 GiB free]

pvck clearly found it and lvmdiskscan also found it. Nothing happened until I did pvscan --cache /dev/sdf:

# pvscan --cache /dev/sdf
# vgscan
  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
Duplicate of PV fEGbBn-tbIp-rL7y-m22b-1rQh-r9i5-Qwlqz7 dev /dev/sdf exists on unknown device 8:0
  Found volume group "xenpc1" using metadata type lvm2

Now I was able to activate it again and it was no longer flagged as partial (but now it is duplicate).

The unknown device 8:0 is clearly going to be /dev/sda, which is no longer there.

How can I dump this reference to 8:0 or should something else be done?

Oh right.... pvscan --cache without a parameter....

I wonder if I can run this while the thing is still activated....

I was beginning to think there'd be some hidden filter rule, but it was "just" the cache.

Should this thing be automatically resolved? Is running pvscan --cache enough?