Re: Unexptected filesytem unmount with thin provision and autoextend disabled - lvmetad crashed?

On 15.5.2016 12:33, Gionatan Danti wrote:
Hi list,
I had an unexptected filesystem unmount on a machine were I am using thin
provisioning.

Hi

Well yeah - ATM we rather take 'early' action and try to stop any user
on overfill thin-pool.

It is a CentOS 7.2 box (kernel 3.10.0-327.3.1.el7, lvm2-2.02.130-5.el7_2.1),
with the current volumes situation:
# lvs -a
   LV                   VG         Attr       LSize  Pool         Origin
Data%  Meta%  Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
   000-ThinPool         vg_storage twi-aotz-- 10.85t 74.06  33.36
   [000-ThinPool_tdata] vg_storage Twi-ao---- 10.85t
   [000-ThinPool_tmeta] vg_storage ewi-ao---- 88.00m
   Storage              vg_storage Vwi-aotz-- 10.80t 000-ThinPool 74.40
   [lvol0_pmspare]      vg_storage ewi------- 88.00m
   root                 vg_system  -wi-ao---- 55.70g
   swap                 vg_system  -wi-ao----  7.81g

As you can see, thin pool/volume is at about 75%.

Today I found the Storage volume unmounted, with the following entries in
/var/log/message:
May 15 09:02:53 storage lvm[43289]: Request to lookup VG vg_storage in lvmetad
gave response Connection reset by peer.
May 15 09:02:53 storage lvm[43289]: Volume group "vg_storage" not found
May 15 09:02:53 storage lvm[43289]: Failed to extend thin
vg_storage-000--ThinPool-tpool.
May 15 09:02:53 storage lvm[43289]: Unmounting thin volume
vg_storage-000--ThinPool-tpool from /opt/storage.

Basically whenever  'lvresize' failed - dmeventd plugin now tries
to unconditionally umount any associated thin-volume with
thin-pool above threshold.

What puzzle me is that both thin_pool_autoextend_threshold and
snap_pool_autoextend_threshold are disabled in the lvm.conf file
(thin_pool_autoextend_threshold = 100 and snap_pool_autoextend_threshold =
100). Moreover, no custom profile/policy is attached to the thin pool/volume.

For now  -  plugin   'calls'  the tool - lvresize --use-policies.
If this tool FAILs for ANY  reason ->  umount will happen.

I'll probably put in 'extra' test that 'umount' happens
with  >=95% values only.

dmeventd itself has no idea if there is configure 100 or less - it's the lvresize to see it - so even if you set 100% - and you have enabled
monitoring  - you will get umount (but no resize)

To me, it seems that the lvmetad crashed/had some problems and the system,
being "blind" about the thin volume utilization, put it offline. But I can not
understand the "Failed to extend thin vg_storage-000--ThinPool-tpool", and I
had *no* autoextend in place.

If you strictly don't care about any tracing of thin-pool fullness,
disable  monitoring in lvm.conf.

I rebooted the system and the Storage volume is now mounted without problems.
I also tried to write about 16 GB of raw data to it, and I have no problem.
However, I can not understand why it was put offline in the first place. As a
last piece of information, I noted that kernel & lvm was auto-updated two days
ago. Maybe it is related?

Can you give me some hint of what happened, and how to avoid it in the future?

Well 'lvmetad' shall not crash, ATM this may kill commands - and further stop processing - as we rather 'stop' further usage rather than allowing
to cause bigger damage.

So if you have unusual system/device setup causing  'lvmetad' crash - open BZ,
and meawhile  set   'use_lvmetad=0' in your lvm.conf till the bug is fixed.

Regards

Zdenek