Re: Lvm think provisioning query

Il 03-05-2016 16:49 Zdenek Kabelac ha scritto:

Now few people (me included) believe  thin volume should error 'ANY'
further write when there was an overprovisioning error on a device and
I'm afraid this can't be solved elsewhere then in target driver.
ATM this thin volume puts filesystem into very complex situation which
does not have 'winning' scenario in number of cases - so we need to
define number of policies.

BUT ATM we clearly communicate - when you run OUT of thin-pool space
it's serious ADMIN failure - and we could only try to lower damage.

Thin-pool overfull CANNOT be compared to writing to a full filesystem
and there is absolutely no guarantee about content of non-flushed files!

True, but non-synched writes should be always treated as "this item can be lost if power disappears / system crashes" anyway. On the other hands, (f)synched writes should already fail immediately if no space can be allocated from the storage subsystem.

In other words, even with a full data pool filesystem intergrity by itself should be guaranteed (both by jornaling and fsync), while non flushed writes "maybe" (if the data segment required was *already* allocated the writes completes, otherwise it fail as an async lost page).

For full tmeta things are much worse, as sometime it require thin_repair. (ps: if you have two free minutes, please see my other email regarding full tmeta. Thanks in advance).

This is my current understanding; please correct me if I am wrong!

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico