Re: about the lying nature of thin

On 29/04/2016 10:44, Marek Podmaka wrote:
Hello Xen,
Now I'm not sure what your use-case for thin pools is.

I don't see it much useful if the presented space is smaller than
available physical space. In that case I can just use plain LVM with
PV/VG/LV. For snaphosts you don't care much as if the snapshot
overfills, it just becomes invalid, but won't influence the original
LV.

Let me add one important use case: have fast, flexible snapshots.

In the past I used classic LVM to build our virtualization servers, but this means I was basically forced to use a separate volume for each VM: using a single big volume and filesystem for all the VMs means that, while snapshotting it for backup purpose, I/O become VERY slow on ALL virtual machines.

On the other hand, thin pools provide much faster snapshots. On the latest builds, I begin using a single large thin volume, on top of a single large thin pool, to host a single filesystem that can be snapshotted with no big slowdown on the I/O part.

I understand that it is a tradeoff - classic LVM mostly provides contiguous blocks, so fragmentation remain quite low, while thin pools/volumes are much more prone to fragament, but with large enough chunks it is not such a big problem.

Regards.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico