Re: Problems creating/converting large logical volume to RAID1

Dne 26.11.2015 v 11:29 Tony Arnold napsal(a):
John,

On 24/11/15 16:49, John Stoffel wrote:

Can I make a suggestion to you?  Instead of trying to do the mirroring
in LVM, build yourself an MD mirror, then layer LVM ontop of that
instead.  You get nice seperation.

You can also take that /dev/sdb3, make it into an MD RAID1 array with
just one device, add it into the VG, then move the LVs onto the new
device.  Once that's done, you remove the sda3 from the VG, then add
it into the MD device.  Something like this...

mdadm --create /dev/md1 --level=1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sdb3 missing
cat /proc/mdstat
pvcreate -v /dev/md1
vgextend -v vg0 /dev/md1
pvmove -v sda3
vgreduce -v vg0 sda3
mdadm --add /dev/md0 /dev/sda3
cat /proc/mdstat

And you will now be mirrored, etc.

Thanks for your suggestion which I have now implemented. The pvmove took
a few hours (1.5TB to move!) and then also some more hours while the
mirror set synchronised. But it's all done and I now have my volumes
mirrored.

I'm still curious though why the LVM based RAID1 didn't work. I'll just
have to stay curious!

4.1  & 4.2  kernel has broken RAID

DO NOT USE  (at least with lvm2 - but since the flaw there is md driver
I assume mdadm is affected as well)

Switch to 4.3 please.

Regards

Zdenek