Re: Usable space in PV

Dne 30.9.2015 v 17:28 Timofey Koolin napsal(a):
Task: calc usable space of PV before create PV and before create partition for
PV.

In my experiments usable space in PV = PVSize / ExtentSize * ExtentSize with
integer operations.
But when Metadata may be large - when LVM have a lot of logical volumes and it
can take more space.

I found in /etc/lvm/lvm.conf parameter pvmetadatasize = 255 secotors (default).
What will if metadata will grow to more then 255 sectors?

If you plan to host lots of LVs within a single VG (in range of hundreds)
use i.e. 'pvcreate --metadatasize 5M'
(i.e. ~7000 linear single segment LVs takes around 2.2MB and you need space for at least 2 metadatas to fit in)

What I'm not quite sure is your 'task' - what's the purpose ?
Do you want to do some 'sector' precise emulation of what lvm2 is doing by watching resuls of couple command with just subset of it's options ?

Isn't better to read man pages ?

Zdenek