Re: Any way to speed up activation of volumes with snapshots?

On 09/16/2015 02:27 AM, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
Dne 16.9.2015 v 01:03 Chris Friesen napsal(a):

As a side question, currently we have a script which runs "vgchange -ay <vg>",
which will activate the VG.

This script appears to activate the LVs within the VG serially rather than in
parallel.  Does it do any processing to determine in which order to activate
the LVs?

What you can do with recent versions of lvm2 -  you could 'mark' (with lvchange
--setskipactivation) some LVs to be skipped from normal activation.
Then you could activate such skipped LVs with  'lvchange -ay -K'.

As said lvm2 has not been designed for this case.
(btw during whole activation - your access to VG is actually limited only for
'read-only')

Right...we're planning on testing out thin provisioning but I have to figure out a band-aid solution for products already in use.

Just to clarify...what does your "access to VG is actually limited only for 'read-only'" mean exactly?

Does it mean:

1) I only have read-only access to the LVs within the VG until all LVs in the VG are activated?

or

2) I only have readonly access to the VG (so I can't add/remove/modify LVs) but I have read/write access to the LVs within the VG.

Thanks,
Chris