Re: Any way to speed up activation of volumes with snapshots?

On 09/15/2015 02:41 AM, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:

If you don't mind dropping existing snapshot and creating new 'old-snapshot' -
using larger block size (i.e.  32K  (or even more) instead of 4K) may improve
speed of disk reading noticeable (at the price of copying larger chunks when
modifying disk blocks - depends on use-case)....

Okay, good info to have.

And if you don't mind replacing your ancient kernel and trying some newer one -
there have been some 'read' order improvement for this old-snapshot target made
as well - so you may at least try if there will be any noticeable change
(actually would be interesting just to get report how much faster it boots when
you only exchange kernel for a boot - you don't have to use it - just measure
boot speed)

This is essentially a custom distro, so changing just the kernel is a bit complicated. However, I have a newer version that I want to test with which has a newer kernel but the same version of LVM, so that should give some good data.

Chris