Re: devices.filter changed behaviour in 80ac8f37d6

Peter Rajnoha <prajnoha@redhat.com> wrote:

I'd advise you to use global_filter instead which should do the job
you need as global_filter is always evaluated at the beginning of the filter
chain. It's also more appropriate to use global_filter in your case if you
want to be sure that devices are filtered completely all the time, never
scanned, even if you switched to using lvmetad.

Hi Peter. Yes, we switched our config to use global_filter when we hit the problem. Great to hear that's the more efficient way to leave it long-term anyway. (global_filter didn't exist as an option when I last touched that lvm.conf, but it definitely makes sense to be able to restrict the device tree before any other, potentially expensive, processing.)

We should probably look at running the new lvmetad ourselves too: thanks for the pointer. We do quite a few read only queries from our management layer using lvs, vgs and so on. Caching the meta data between invocations could make a lot of sense if the daemon's reasonably lightweight and doesn't pull in extra dependencies. (LVM can't interrogate our udev database, though, as we don't use udev to handle our kernel uevents.)

Best wishes,

Chris.