Re: LVM mirror or RAID1?

Just to be clear, I wouldn't like to use LVM over RAID1, as the requirement for having equal-sized disks is not tolerable by me, also I don't wish to mirror all of my LVs.

My question is whether to use the mirror or raid1 segment types for LVs over LVM.

So, should I rather create my LVs with "lvcreate --type mirror" or "lvcreate --type raid1"? Which option is more efficient?

LVM now has folded the raid capability. but you want to use the true raid1 capability not the "mirrored" logical volumes. The raid writes to both in parallel. The mirrored LV is sequential and a LOT slower.