How does LVM-Cache work?

Hello, everyone.

I'm willing to do research about second-level cache using SSDs and I think that the best way to do this is using LVM/Device Mapper, because other implementations are based on FUSE, virtualization layers, and others.

What I'm trying to do is to develop a subsystem that will put hot blocks/PEs on SSDs-Cache, as well as group related blocks/PEs on cache automatically. Not simply put on SSD the most  used files or directories.

The problem is that I could not find any documentation about DM or LVM to help my research and development.

Could you point me to some documentation or what's the best way to accomplish this?

Thanks!

Leonardo Antônio dos Santos
Federal University of Paraná (Brazil)