Re: lvextend NEVER works but screws up

Let me remind people that on RHEL5, running e2fsck on an ext4 filesystem will actually destroy data!  Always
use fsck, which runs either e2fsck or e4fsck when e4fsprogs is installed.  On newer systems, where ext4 support is not tacked on as e4fsprogs, e2fsck handles both (but is it still a good habit to use fsck to run the proper checker).

On 10/04/2012 02:32 AM, tariq wali expounded in part:

resize2fs /dev/vg0/bin-logs
resize2fs 1.39 (29-May-2006)
resize2fs: Filesystem has unsupported feature(s) while trying to open
/dev/vg0/bin-logs
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.

#this is where I would get psyched , i did the same thing to all my ext2/3
filesystems and have extended file systems online without an issue for
years ..but did I fforget the file system type this time , yes indeed I for
got we have started doing ext4 on all our new servers and didn't realise
ext4 fancies it's own bells and whistles ..

I ran the all new resize4fs as suggested by Stuart , and it made my day in
fact it made for the whole week's frustration :)

resize4fs /dev/vg0/logs
resize4fs 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
Filesystem at /dev/vg0/logs is mounted on /bin-logs; on-line resizing
required
old desc_blocks = 7, new_desc_blocks = 9
Performing an on-line resize of /dev/vg0/logs to 37408768 (4k) blocks.

The filesystem on /dev/vg0/logs is now 37408768 blocks long.