Re: Fun and games with mirroring

Long ago, Nostradamus foresaw that on 05/22/2012 10:50 AM, Vic would write:
p.s. The reason I want to do this with LVM mirrors rather than MD RAID is
that this is potentially a very useful way of grabbing a backup snapshot
of a machine prior to some risky operation - it allows me to "fork" a
machine onto two sets of media. But if it leaves the result unbootable,
that's something of a problem...

LVM RAID is mainly used for pvmove at the moment. LVM has a ways to go to match ZFS or AIX in LVM mirroring features. MD RAID takes a snapshot just fine. Add the mirror with mdadm, sync it, and "fail" the mirror and remove it before physically removing the drive. I can see the issue with multiple PVs, however. There is no atomic way to fail multiple mirrors at once.